Monday, June 30, 2014

Death of the Mad Hatter *Review*

I requested and received a free copy of "Death of the Mad Hatter" by Sarah J. Pepper to review from Goodread's Read It & Reap program. I was so excited to read this book, having been a long standing fan of Lewis Carroll's work. The entire bio is a riddle ending with a catchy phrase, "Heads would roll... Hearts would break... In the end, would it matter who reigned?" I was hooked before I even started reading this.

Unfortunately that's about how long my love for this story lasted. The book is full of incomplete sentences and contradictory descriptions. I couldn't get through a single chapter without being drawn out of the story by what I feel was unbelievable dialogue. The story hinges on Riley, a 17 year old boy who reads as though he was written by a mature female adult. It didn't work for me.

I had to force myself to keep reading, doing my best to get through this book so I could give my review. I really wanted this to be different. I'm sad to say, it wasn't.

Final Score: 2/5
The characters of Wonderland were somewhat interesting. This book could still be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment